I remember where I was. I remember what I was doing. I remember every moment of that horrible day. And each year since, on this day, I follow the same ritual. I take a moment in the morning and remember. And I've found that each year, the emotions are there....but not quite as strong as they were the year before.
Until this year. This morning....thinking about that dreadful day in our history, was different. I know why it was different, but I'm not really sure why....does that make any sense? This year, Joe is in Iraq. And he's going to Afghanistan in January, where we've been fighting since October 2001. A direct link to that fateful day. He's there...fighting for our country, the innocents in their country, and it's directly related to 9/11.
I worry every minute of every hour of every day about him. It's like an obsession. Is he safe? Is he eating ok? Is he sleeping?
If 9/11 never happened, he wouldn't be there. He would be safe.
And so this morning, I cried. I cried for everyone who died that day. I cried for every soldier that's died since that day(4,155 for anyone who's counting). And I cried for all the soldiers that are still over there fighting.
I cried for me....and for Joe. He tells me he's not the same man he was....and that I might not like the man he's become. So. Even though he wasn't in New York on that day...his life has been altered forever by the events that day. And so has mine.
I hope there is an end to this war. I hope there is a future for Joe and I. And I hope that he comes home in one piece, emotionally and physically.
Peace to all.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment