Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Tumultuous Month

...And thank God it's over.

At the end of February, the 22nd as a matter of fact...I got my lay-off notice from work. I knew it was coming...they were shitheads about it, but it's all good.

Then on March 2nd, my mom was rushed to the hospital with double pneumonia and a heart attack. I flew out on March 4th and spent twelve days in Florida with her and my father. Mom came home from the hospital the day I flew back. Whew! She's feeling great by the way.

The day after I came home, my sister, the one that stayed back in Michigan, collapsed and they rushed her to the hospital. The following day they ended up doing emergency surgery because her colon had ruptured and she developed gangrene. They removed half of her colon and 80 centemeters of her small intestines(think almost three feet). The doctors told us if she made it through the surgery it would be a miracle....and then they told us if she made it through the first night it would be another miracle. Amy was in a sedated coma and on life support for ten days.

On March 25th, she came off life support and is finally breathing on her own. She is still in intensive care, but it looks like she is going to pull through.

Of course, this was all going on during my last week at work. The kids were so angry and sad that last week. On my last day they had a good-bye party for me....complete with a cake, balloons, and giant cards they made themselves. The best part was a t-shirt they made for me that said "We love you , Ms. Cutie". I bawled like a baby. We took lots of pictures, that I can't publish here due to confidentiality...but over-all it was a great party.

So....the 2oth was my last day of work. I called my contact in the central hiring office and reminded her that I was laid off and she was quite snappy..."you aren't the only case I'm working on, and those people were permanent state employees". Flabbergasted, I asked her if she even read my application since I have FIFTEEN YEARS SENIORITY! She was silent for a moment then uttered...."oh", and then...."let me talk with my supervisor and call you back". She never called back.

This past Tuesday, her supervisor called and apologized. She said I never should have actually gotten laid off, that I should have been placed immediately, and was I interested in my old position in my old county that was available? Are you kidding?? Ten minutes from home versus an hour? Hell yes I was interested! She asked if I could start on Wednesday. I told her no. Too short notice and had my niece for the rest of the week(she was on spring break). She told me I could start any time I wanted.

I start tomorrow.

So in summary, my mom is feeling great, my sister is doing better, and I have a job again.

Life is good.

Now if it would only stop snowing.

5 comments:

EnnuiHerself said...

My, that was quite a month!!

I'm so glad to read that everything seems to be turning around for you!

Jamie said...

Good news about the job! It's amazing how things can sort of just turn around so fast, isn't it?

BTExpress said...

My stomach was turning as I read this, but felt a lot better at the happy ending. It's still a rough time for you and I'm sorry, but glad things are working out.

jasmine said...

Oh sweetie...

It's been a while since I visited (I had my own bits of reality to deal with). Really hope things with your family get better, but am glad to read the work situation seems to have a bit of a silver lining...

j

Gunngirl said...

That is freakin' fantastic news! I'm glad that your family is pulling through, that is great. I can't believe the people you have to deal with you about your job, but I'm so happy you were able to start when you wanted and get the job where you wanted.

Sometime life can toss you a few good apples when you're not expecting it. Then again, you were due for something good to happen.