Yep, I've been at my job for fifteen months, in a "temporary" position. When I started, I was told that I would be made permanent when the previous therapist resigned or was fired(he went out on a medical leave to avoid the termination), but they dragged their feet. And now it's too late.
Last Sunday, my union representative called me to tell me that she had had a meeting with someone from the capital and she was told that the "temporary" positions would all be terminated in the next few months due to the closing of another facility and the need to make jobs for those employees.
I kept this information to myself, not sure what I was going to do. On Thursday, my boss finally came to me and told me that it was true, and that he fought to keep me, but was told by the administration that there was nothing they could do. He actually sounded remorseful, telling me that I was the best therapist that he had worked with and was sorry that he couldn't save my job. When I told him that I already knew, he was surprised and asked me how I could keep coming to work everyday and being professional....I told him it was my moral obligation, and that my integrity kept me from screwing over my kids when I was getting royally screwed. It's not their fault that this administration sucks.
So, yesterday, I filled out the paperwork to try and go back to what I was doing, investigations...but when I called my contact in the capital, she told me that currently, they weren't allowed to fill any positions until the new allocations numbers for new positions were published...and she didn't know when that would be. She said she would keep me posted.
So...basically, I'm out of a job. I don't know when the pink slip will come....but it has to be done before March 1st.
I'm so angry that I can't even write eloquently about this experience.
I have busted my ass working with the worst girls in the state, literally spilling blood on ocasion to help them. Getting called a fat white bitch on a regular basis. Listening to stories of horrific abuse and neglect. Putting bandaids on hemmorages(sp?). In my fifteen months here, the staff on our unit has turned over twice. Because these girls are soooooooo difficult to work with. And I'm still here. I've been told by so many staff, teachers, other professionals that I'm the best. I care the most....
And it's just not good enough. My boss even told me the other day that I was the best thing since sliced bread.
The only bright spot right now is Steve. He's still sweet, calm, a great listener, still treats me like a goddess....I truly appreciate him for being here.
Merry fucking Christmas.
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ouch. I'm in a similar position at the moment, but I don't have the emotional involvement that you have, and my boss is the one who screwed me over.
That just sucks! I hope that something opens up for you soon. It's infuriating the way you've been treated, and it's a scary position to be in. *hug*
That's just shitty.
(((hugs)))
Those kids have had it hard enough, they don't need the people who are trying to help them making it any worse. You should be proud that you took the moral high road and maintained your professionalism. That's probably part of the reason why you're the best.
Hopefully one of your contacts can put you in touch with another job position. It sounds like you're good enough that you won't have to wait too long for an offer.
Actually, weren't you thinking about moving? (Forgive me if I'm confusing you with another blogger.) Maybe this is the universe's way of telling you it's time to go?
L, I'm so sorry to hear this.
{{{ Hugs }}}
Yay! for having a Steve to help you through this!
That is really shitty, and I hate that they reeled you in under the pretense of it going permanent and then bam! you're left with nothing.
Well, I don't think it's nothing, you have too much experience and smarts to stay down long, and plenty of people to vouch for you.
But in the end it sucks that you give so much of your life and it's not appreciated. You'll be alright in the end, you know it.
That really sucks! I just don't get how they can get rid of the best and keep lesser people just because they have a certain "title" (ie, full time). I'm sorry. :-(
Yeah, knowing your the best is cold comfort when you know your not going to be there for your girls.
Typical problems with mental health care in this country. It's all bureaucracy, and little help. There's so much wrong with that area of healthcare I won't fill up your comments going on about it.
But as an ER nurse, I see so much...
dude...
I cant believe they are letting you go like that..
They have no availibility to make you a permanant positon?
I'm sorry babe.. That sucks..
Post a Comment